Monday 2 March 2015

Ice dyeing: Textiles

Ice dyeing

This week I thought I'd try a technique I've never done before, and came across on pintrest this weekend. As I am doing this technique whilst posting, I'll post an image of the final result tomorrow or next week on my next blog post, if I don't get there before Elana.

Its a simple technique!
All you need is:
  • A selection of powder dyes
  • Cotton fabric
  • Ice
  • Salt
  • A bucket or tray






1. Soak your cotton in a warm salt water bath for about 3 minutes. 

2. Take the fabric out, sprinkle salt granules onto it and scrunch it. Then put it in or on your bucket or tray. The salt should prevent colour in some patches.

3. Cover the fabric in ice.

4. Sprinkle your dyes over the ice and leave it over night. Wear gloves as precaution so you do not get dye all over your hands like I have done.

Here is a picture of the final result of ice dyeing from trusty google. I will post mine asap!










No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs