Sunday 19 April 2015

The Round Up: Exam Season

As most people from the age of 15-18 well know, exam season is soon upon us. Us girls here on Almost1998 will all be sitting exams in the dreaded month of May. With my exams starting in less than three weeks, I wanted to focus on how to cope with exams as although some have commended me for my work ethic, it is not easy. I'm aware this has already been done on our Life, Advice and Rants section but I thought a little reminder wouldn't go a miss. 




1. Revision is key 
If you were not gifted with a photographic memory or a Sheldon Cooper size brain, without revision you will struggle. Learn what is the best environment for you to revise in whether that be sat on the sofa with the TV on or locked away at a desk, although it has been found that revising in a similar environment to what you will be tested in will help to remember your revision. Attempt different types of revision such as flash cards or poems (a personal favourite is mind maps).

2. Self motivation 
May seem impossible but only you can put your butt into gear to get the revision done. I've found this to be the back bone of success, it is up to you as an indvidual to get your mind focused and be the steering wheel of your revision. 

3. Test yourself 
Look at past papers and questions, even if you have your notes to one side of you, you are still learning how to structure exam answers and key information. I always chose the oldest ones first as those questions are more likely to come up than the more recent ones. 

4. List what you have to do 
Writing a list of the revision you will do that week and how you will do it, cross it off once you have done it to gain a sense of achievement. That will help improve work ethic if you feel as though you've been getting stuff done. 

5. Have breaks 
This is my downfall, I feel the need to get everything done and feel anxious when I don't. Breaks are important to let your mind relax and take in all the information in, too much and you'll exhaust yourself (flash back to my exams of 2013). However, just remember that doing 20 minutes of revision does not entitle you to 3 hours break, 5 minutes every half an hour to have a cup of tea will be beneficial. 

I hope this helps as we approach the most scary time of the year. Just remember that you are the only thing standing between you achieving the grades you desire, focus and remain calm. You will only get what you are willing to put in. Good luck! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs